The Vatican Museums
The Vatican Museums trace their origin to one marble sculpture, purchased 500 years ago.
The sculpture of Laocoön, the priest who, according to Greek mythology, tried to convince the people
of ancient Troy not to accept the Greeks' "gift" of a hollow horse, was discovered 14 January 1506,
in a vineyard near the basilica of Santa Maria Maggiore in Rome. Pope Julius II sent Giuliano da Sangallo
and Michelangelo Buonarroti, who were working at the Vatican, to examine the discovery.
On their recommendation, the pope immediately purchased the sculpture from the vineyard owner.
The pope put the sculpture of Laocoön and his sons in the grips of a sea serpent on public
display at the Vatican exactly one month after its discovery.
The Museums celebrated their 500th anniversary in October 2006 by permanently
opening the excavations of a Vatican Hill necropolis to the public.
(Information from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vatican_Museums)
教皇儒略二世派朱利亞諾•達•桑迦洛（Giuliano da Sangallo）和米開朗琪羅去查看發掘成果。
(資料來自http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vatican_Museums > 港澳繁體)
pix. 1 & 2
pix. 7 & 8
pix. 11 & 12
pix. 15 & 16
pix. 17 & 18
pix. 25 & 26
pix. 28 & 29
pix. 31 & 32